Monday, July 9, 2007

How Shall they Believe?

I have been very convicted lately about my lack of personal evangelism. Piper has a good post here about evangelism, but I feel like I am failing miserably in this area. I read the post from Jim the other day and agree that we often times make the action the point of evangelism. However, I find more often than not we sometimes do not evangelize at all. As a pastor I think it is crucial for us to set an example in this area. Not because we are pastors, but because we are Christians. I am sure you are very familiar with Romans 10:13-17, but I will quote it here anyway.
For everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved. But how are they to call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach good news!" But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?" So faith comes by hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
I know that none of you would argue with this, but I fear that often times we neglect this in our lives (maybe it's just me). As the church today we need to make a valiant effort to get into our communities and preach the gospel. Christ has His sheep and they will hear His voice. But they will never believe in Him of whom they have not heard. Pray for me in this. Hold me accountable.

No comments: