Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Specials" and "Solos"

What do you guys think is the best way to approach specials and/or solos in a church? Is it ever appropriate to have them? I'm not a fan, and I think the corporate gathering is certainly primarily about the people of God worshipping together (with one voice). I also do not like the fact that we live in such an entertainment driven culture, which seems to only fuel the desire for these 'specials' within the corporate worship gathering. My question, however, is what are your thoughts Biblically? Are they always inappropriate? Or is there freedom here?

3 comments:

Dan Rolfe said...

It falls into the freedom category for me (similar to video clips during the service) but they should be used wisely, for the right purpose, and (for me) rarely.

Right purposes might include: to introduce a new song to the congregation or to aid in reflection during communion.

Pastor Randy said...

I like the emphasis on using wisdom for the right purposes. Good point.

Justin Nale said...

If they are truly "specials" then they should be, well, special. And that means they are rare. And I agree with Dan above about the uses of solos.