Friday, February 16, 2007

Getting the Ball Rolling

Hello everyone. I thought I'd get us started by posing a question: How can we as Christians best witness to those around us who truly believe they are saved though their lives state otherwise?

Sadly, I fear that our churches are filled with people who's highest allegiance is not to Christ, but to their own pursuits and desires. They seek happiness in television or golf or work and do not know the joy of serving the king. Even in the American south, true lovers of Christ are hard to be found.

Many of these people find comfort in knowing that their names are on the membership roll of some church somewhere. Many attend church (at least on Sunday mornings), but only out of a sense of duty (being good to God so He'll be good to them). They do not hunger and thirst for God's Word or genuinely submit their lives to His will.

So how do we sound the alarm for those who believe they are safe? Should we be careful not to offend (fearing they'll turn further away from us), or should we in fact be bold and blunt about their soul's condition? (After all, isn't the gospel by nature offensive?)

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Justin Nale

PS. Thanks to Allen, Chad, Randy, and Justin for delivering God's Word during our conference this past week. Jim and Mike - I hope you'll be willing to preach for us sometime in the future.

3 comments:

pastor justin said...

If they are members of the church, kick them out. That will sound the alarm.

OK, I know you just can't do that in every church. However, each and every church sould be moving that way. Teach on church disciplie. Almost every consitution (or by laws) I have ever seen has a provision for voting members out. If its in there, why don't we do it?

Pastor Randy said...

Well, I think when you are in an established church that has many years of pastors telling them their relatives and friends should stay on the church role, you have to be very careful how you handle it. I do not at all think you avoid the subject, in fact I think you make it a priority. However, if you want to shepherd the people for many years, you have to help them to see that all of those pastors before you were not being Biblical. Therefore, I think it is very important to see if your church has a place in it's confession or constitution or somewhere that deals with this issue. If there is (and often it is) you will have a better chance to teach them what they already say they believe. I think there is a fine line between being Biblical without compassion and being Biblical with compassion. Either way we must remain Biblical and teach our people the importance of church membership. If we teach on church membership and Biblical salvation, we have a better chance at getting our people to understand why we all of sudden want to do things differently.
By the way, I am learning this as I go. I wanted to go through our church role at my first Deacon's meeting. I quickly found out that I would probably not last long at the church if I fought that battle right then. I was faced with a major decision. My conclusion (which still could change) is that I will be a better pastor longer if I take ample time to teach our people why this is so important. Therefore, I backed off a little but told the deacons that I still think this is important and that I plan to work towards a proper understanding of salvation and church membership.
I would guess that most of you have a better explanation than I do on this issue. When I helped plant Grace Covenant Community Church it was easy because we set this up from the start. I would gladly take correction or direction in the way I am handling this very crucial and very important topic.

R and R Fellowship Member said...

I think you are right, Randy. In the long run, our churches will profit most from the practice of church discipline when it is something the congregation has come to believe is biblical, necessary, and good. If a pastor comes in and forces the practice on a church, not only might that pastor be fired, but the church might have a long-term hostility towards anyone else who wants to lead the church in that direction. Many folks in my own congregation are now convinced of the need to practice church discipline - but I want to be sure that when we begin taking those steps our church truly understands why and is wholeheartedly supportive. After all, obedience that isn't driven by genuine sincerity isn't obedience at all. If our church practices discipine stubbornly for no reason accept that it has been forced on them, that obedience does little for the kingdom of God or the salvation of souls.

Justin N.