Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Don't Get Me Wrong...

There is room in my daily life and decisions for inward senses from God. But sometimes I fear I might confuse a "divine nudge" and what I ate for lunch. Plus, there doesn't seem to be much evidence in Scripture for the "divine nudge" approach. When God spoke to people, it was with an audible voice, or an angel, or bright lights.

So, while I am cautious about my fallen mind and logic, I am also cautious about my experiences and feelings.

I'm not saying that God doesn't speak in those ways (I kinda felt like that's what I left y'all with today). I'm just saying it doesn't appear to be the usual way in which God worked in Scripture.

Here are a few resources that have shaped my ideas concerning this issue:
Hearing God's Voice by Greg Koukl
Divine Direction and Decision Making in the Book of Acts by Greg Koukl
Making the Hard Decisions Easy by John MacArthur (long, but very good)
What is the Will of God for My Life? by John MacArthur (very short)
How Can I Make Decisions So That God Will Be Pleased With My Life? by John MacArthur
Why the Gift of Prophecy is not the Usual Way of Knowing God's Will by John Piper

I hope some of these help you understand my perspective. I really enjoyed our lunch and look forward to more in the future.

Jim

1 comment:

Pastor Randy said...

I think you are right Jim. Thank you so much for the helpful links.