Thursday, September 13, 2007

What Is A Healthy Church?

Brothers, I just got Dever's new book, "What is a Healthy Church?" It looks like an invaluable resource for our people to understand the right questions to ask about church. I would recommend getting a copy, reading through it, and then figuring out a way to get a copy in the hands of all your members (easy for me to say, I only have 23 members). At first, I thought this was going to be a summary of 9 Marks of a Healthy Church. While he certainly restates those 9 marks, he also just discusses the nature, purpose, and goal of a healthy church..

9 Marks Ministries sells this book for $5 each on their website (retail: $10.99)!

So, let's say you have 125 members. Let's say half of those members are in a family (husband, wife, children). So, if you give one book per family, you would need about 63 books. I cannot think of a better way to spend $315 than putting a copy of this book in the hands of every member of your church. Surely you can find an extra $315 in your budget somewhere. If not, make plans to add it next year. That $315 will do more to encourage unity, vision, and direction for the future than just about anything I can think of.

Consider it a challenge (or a dare if you are old school).

Desperately Desiring Healthy Churches in this Area,
Justin Childers

2 comments:

Pastor Randy said...

While I haven't ordered that book yet, I am very quickly becoming more of a fan of Mark Dever. I am presently reading a book that most of you have already read called The Deliberate Church. I will have to plan to get that book very soon as well. I have been very challenged and convicted lately about getting materials into the hands of our people. Maybe not immediately, but I accept the challenge. Let's pray for one another and pray for healthy churches.

Unknown said...

The Church that I am at is Bisbee Baptist Church in Mansfield, Texas. The book sounds great. Who can you order one from?

Texas Ron Linebarger
kindlytalk.com
talk@kindlytalk.com

Amen to the prayer. Keep me in prayer I am new to this blogging thing.