Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Together Again

Years ago, Caedmon's Call was one of several influences in my life that led me into reformed theology and a more serious embracing of the Bible. I was very disappointed when Derek Webb - one of the best songwriters I've ever heard - left the band to go solo. (He left over The Prayer of Jabez - see here.)

So today I am very happy to hear that Derek has rejoined the band. I can't wait to hear their new album and hope to catch them on tour at some point in the future. Here's the story.

By the way, Derek's new solo cd just came out a few weeks ago - I hear it's fantastic.

JN

3 comments:

TheBeastMan said...

That's good news to me. I liked much of DWebbs solo stuff anyway, but I like Caedmon's much better.

pastor justin said...

I have heard that Derek has now rejected Reformed theology. I hope it is not true.

R and R Fellowship Member said...

Justin,

I don't think that is true. He shows up on RUF cds all the time and is still doing a fair number of concerts in PCA churches - I doubt this would be the case if he was no longer reformed. (And since his wife is reformed, and his home church, I just find that rumor hard to believe.) Derek took a hard stance against war (some would say a stance of pacifism) in his cd "Mockingbird", and since then he has been the target of all sorts of negative attacks. On one song he says "There are two great lies that I’ve heard: the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die / and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican, and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him." That line has earned him a lot of flack.