Friday, February 18, 2011

Multisite?

I'm sure you've all looked into the pros and cons of multisite churches. I have gone back and forth on the issue myself. As of today (and for the past year or so), I have not been in favor of multisite. My understanding of preaching in the life of the church has caused me to think it's not best. This morning I read Kevin DeYoung's thoughts here. Since I was already leaning this way, this seemed to cement my thoughts even more. I like that he is quick to say it's not sin to have multisite, and that there may be appropriate times for them, but certainly not his preference. What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

TheBeastMan said...

Still no comments?! I was waiting for everyone else to respond.

Well, I'll just simply say that I generally agree with the 9marks guys' arguments against multi-site. I'll lay out my views later, but thought I'd try to get the ball rolling in the comments section.

TheBeastMan said...

A few un-detailed reasons:

The term for "church" typically refers to gathering.

The so-called "one another" commands in the NT are to be carried out in this gathered context.

The role of pastor/elder is one of shepherding responsibility to the whole flock. It seems weird that the shepherd who preaches wouldn't also know and care for the flock under his care.

Pastor Randy said...

I expected far more interaction than this. But thanks, Jim!

Justin Nale said...

I think Jim's last statement is the most important. Jesus is the Good Shepherd who knows His sheep by name, He knows them, they know Him, they hear His voice and follow Him. Pastors should seek to imitate Christ as under-shepherds. This means that we should seek to know the sheep that we are feeding.