Friday, March 9, 2007

Wrestling With Sabbatarianism

I have spent this past week engrossed in one of the most difficult theological questions I've yet encountered: What role does the Old Testament Sabbath play in the life of New Testament Christians? I had thought lightly about this before, but never like these last few days. Besides my Bible, I have relied heavily on two books (among others): Walter Chantry's "Calling the Sabbath a Delight" (Sabbatarian), and D. A. Carson's "From Sabbath to Lord's Day" (Non-Sabbatarian). I've listened to a message by Jim Savastio (Sabbatarian), and a message by Al Mohler (Non-Sabbatarian). I've had conversations with three dear friends, two Sabbatarian, the other Non-Sabbatarian. I've spent many hours wrestling with texts, particularly Genesis 2, Exodus 20, Matthew 12, Mark 2, and Hebrews 3-4. In the end, I feel like I need a Sabbath from studying the Sabbath!

After all of this, I have seen that there are strong arguments for both positions. Here are the conclusions that I've recently come to (I'd love your opinions / critiques):

1. There is a connection between the Lord's Day and the Sabbath. Both days follow a one day in seven principle, both are concerned with the worship of God, and (primarily, I think), both days serve as identification markers of God's people. In the O.T., the Sabbath was a sign of God's covenant with Israel and identified the Israelites with Yahweh, who Himself worked six days and rested on the seventh. In a similar way, observing the Lord's Day is a key mark of someone who belongs to Christ (i.e., 1 John 2:19, etc.) Because of these observations, I can feel comfortable calling Sunday "the Christian Sabbath".

2. That said, I cannot say that I am a Sabbatarian (nor do I think they'd claim me!) I concede that there is a universal, moral aspect to the 4th commandment - namely, that it convicts all people everywhere of a failure to set aside time for the worship of God. However, I think the Bible as a whole places the Sabbath command squarely in line with the other cultic, ceremonial commands of Israel. Obviously one could argue this from Colossians 2, but I also see it in Matthew 12, and somewhat alluded to in Hebrews 4. And like the other ceremonial laws (and indeed all of the law), I see the fulfillment of the Sabbath in our Lord Jesus Christ, who is for us our Sabbath rest. Thus, I do not believe that the Lord's Day is simply the Old Testament Sabbath transferred as is to a new day. Rather, I see the Sabbath pointing towards and ultimately fulfilled in Christ. Nevertheless, the one-day-in-seven principle is carried on via the Lord's Day.

3. All of this said, I do not think that we are obligated to observe the Lord's Day in exactly the same way as the O.T. Sabbath. In fact, I think the N.T. teaches us that the primary way we observe the Lord's Day is not through physical rest, but by gathering together with other believers to encourage and admonish one another further into the rest of Christ (which is both present and future - i.e., Hebrews 4.)

I don't even know if all that makes sense, but its a snapshot of where my thinking is at the moment. Comments?

Justin N.

(State 85, Duke 80 - Go Wolfpack!)

10 comments:

SCL said...

Go Heels! I'll be watching them this Sunday ;)

Pastor Randy said...

I will post a serious note later, but for now GO HEELS!!!!!!!

TheBeastMan said...

Mine was semi-serious... I'll be watching them on SUNDAY.

Pastor Randy said...

Maybe serious wasn't the proper word. The Heels are always a serious subject. What I should have said is that I will post my answer about the Sabbath at a later time. And I am beginning to think we might watch State as well (although I think they will give out tonight).

TheBeastMan said...

Could someone give me a concise statement of what Sabbatarianism is? I have a good idea, but it's a bit fuzzy. Thanks

R and R Fellowship Member said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R and R Fellowship Member said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R and R Fellowship Member said...

7th Day Sabbatarians believe that the 4th commandment remains in effect for all people today as it was in the Old Testament. These folks worship on Saturday, and most do not go to the mall, play sports, etc. on Saturday in order to devote the day to spiritual things. Lord's Day Sabbatarians believe that the 4th commandment remains in effect for all people today, but that it has changed - we now observe it on the 1st day of the week instead of the seventh. Non-Sabbatarians say that the 4th commandment was mainly for Old Testament Israel and was fulfilled in Christ, thus making the Lord's Day a different and distinct day from the Old Testament Sabbath. My position falls in between the last two.

Justin N.

Pastor Randy said...

I must admit that I am probably not knowledgeable enough on this subject to be offering anything, but here it goes anyway. I personally see the argument from Scripture to worship on the Lord's day, so I push for Sunday (which brings up a question about Saturday night worship services). I will probably not be much help here because the fact of the matter is, I think the Sabbath is still in effect, but it is different now than it was then. I am probably pretty close to where you are Justin N. It seems to me that there is something common about the Sabbath and the Lord's Day, but I see a distinction as well. One passage that helped me (at least a little bit) is Colossians 3:16-17 which says, "Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food or drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ." Again, probably not much help, but there's my tiny bit of knowledge on this (if you can call it knowledge).

Anonymous said...

Justing, I am sending writing you a essay on the sabbath, and will send this to you later.

TC