Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What To Do When You've Preached A Lousy Sermon

This past Sunday night I continued preaching through Revelation by expounding Christ's letter to the church in Sardis. I believe I conveyed all the main points of the passage, but immediately after preaching felt that I had done a lousy job. I preached the truth, but it wasn't preached with the clarity, power, and conviction that I would have liked. The passage is so rich, and I feel my people left having not tasted its glory. I've even considered preaching the same passage again this Sunday night, just to have another chance at helping my congregation sense its weight.

So, how do you handle it when you feel a sermon didn't go well? Any good counsel to offer?

3 comments:

pastor justin said...

Since this is a regular occurance for me, I have much advice!

Honestly, this is where a committment to expository preaching is my life. I would burn out very quickly if I dreamed up my own sermons and messages.

God changes people by the power of His Word. If His Word is proclaimed, God is working in people's hearts.

My confidence is never in my clarity, passion, or conviction (although these things should be pursued). It is in the power of the gospel.

Of course, it is right to feel our inadequacy and to repent where we have procrastinated.

The only reason I would preach a passage again (the week after) is if I felt like I missed the point of the text. If I proclaimed the point of the text, I will leave the results to God. For me (I am certainly not accusing you of this since I don't know your heart), it would be pride motivated to try to "do better."

TheBeastMan said...

Yeah, I agree with what JC said. I gave a short message at a funeral the other day. I was excited about it before hand, just because God's word was very encouraging to me. But then it seemed like it fell on deaf ears when I preached it.

I want to examine the things I did well and not so well, but if I begin to obsess about it, then that shows I think it is all about me and how well I did... and it's not.

Justin Nale said...

Good words, guys. Thanks.