Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Ayn Rand



The DG blog notes that the Ayn Rand Institute has now put some of her audio/video material on the web for free.

This is one of the few similarities between Piper's journey and mine - we were both influenced by Rand's writings. In my case, I discovered Ayn Rand before I had ever heard of Piper or reformed theology. As a Junior in High School, the Rand Institute was offering a big scholarship as first prize in an essay contest. Students were required to read Rand's "The Fountainhead" and then write an essay about the book. My english teacher urged to me to enter the contest. I didn't win, but the book certainly had an impact on me. It was so radically different from anything I had ever encountered before.

The story was about an architect named Howard Roark who was very talented at what he did but would only design and build structures in the novel ways that he pleased. He compromised for no one. He has a really complicated relationship with a lady named Dominique (which really began when he more-or-less raped her.) I assure you, you've never read a book like this one...

Unless you've read "Atlas Shrugged". After being enthralled by the Fountainhead, I read Atlas Shrugged - a bigger novel that was written after "The Fountainhead" and is an even better portrayal of her philosophy. This book is amazing and engrossing. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. I remember reading it on an airplane and the stewardess leaned over to me and said "That book changed my life." I've seen bumperstickers that say "Who is John Galt?" (You have to read the book to get it.) Alan Greenspan (former Federal Reserve Chairman) is a well-known "Randian".

What is really unique about these books, is the philosophy that they teach (quite overtly) - that selfishness is the highest virtue. "Selfishness" for Rand means living by your own objective principles for your own happiness without ever compromising. Rand says "My philosophy in essence is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity and reason as his only absolute". According to Rand, the purpose of my life is my own personal happiness through creative productivity. To show charity to someone is immoral - evil - because it gives them something they have not earned and discourages them from pursuing true productivity. (i.e., Welfare discourages people from getting jobs and being productive, and since creative productivity is the key to their happiness, I'm actually hurting them.)

Obviously, there is a lot in these books that is wrong: they teach atheism, for one. But there are two reasons why I still have some affection for these books:

1. They elevate the importance of reason. (Too much, to be sure, but too many Christians have thrown reason out the window. Reason and faith are not enemies - they are the dearest of friends.)

2. These books show the wisdom of seeking your own happiness. For Rand, true happiness was found in artistic productivity. As Christians, we know that true happiness is found only in Christ. But as a Christian Hedonist, we also recognize that living for God' glory and our own joy are the same pursuit. (As the Bible makes clear over and over again: "Delight yourself in the Lord...")

Ayn Rand's works are a great display of rational hedonism. She was really close to getting it. If only she had been converted to the joy of knowing rational Christian hedonism!

(PS. This is one chief way in which Piper helped me so much - I discovered him within a year or two after Rand, and he helped me take what I knew was right from Rand (minus the atheistic baggage and its consequences) and showed me how objective hedonism was indeed a part of a truly Biblical Christian worldview. If it wasn't for him, I don't know what I would have become. Praise be to God.)

No comments: